MAS

Tuesday

A Day I Never Forgot

December 22nd has been one of the hardest days for me since I was 8 years old. It marks the anniversary of the death of my Grandfather, Raymond H. McCarthy. I will never forget this day as long as I live. Three days before Christmas (December 22, 1982) one of the strongest men I have ever known vanished due to a sudden heart attack.
-
He was a tough soldier, firm but loving Father and Grandfather who would do anything for his little girls, my Mother, Stefanie my little sister and myself. He was a true artist and craftsman...wonder where I got it from well there ya' go! He saved me when I climbed up a tall tree and couldn't figure out how to get back down (I was about 5 years old and a serious tomboy).
-
I remember one time he, my father and I all went fishing (after I dug up the worms in the yard, lol) I was first to catch a fish after hours of sitting and waiting for them to bite....they took me home and went back themselves! LOL There's no way a little girl is going to fish better than two manly men!
-
To this day every time I go sledding I think of him. I must've been about two or three years old when a video was taken of me, my grandpa and dad at Roger Williams Park sledding down this big hill.
-
Raymond H. McCarthy was and will always remain a hero to me. We love and miss you Grandpa always. I know you are resting peacefully.

4 comments:

  1. That is a very emotional (funny, sad, happy) and amazing recollection of a person that you hold so dearly and respectfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that. Life drastically changed for me after he passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is why, we all need to live each day like it's our last. Because it could be!
    I also remember those times fishing, sledding at Roger Williams park. Ray was a great man and great friend.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete